Thursday, 15 May 2014

Elephant Marina Romper

This was one of those patterns where I was almost wishing Freya would grow a bit faster so I could sew it.  I'd admired many of the patterns from the Cali Faye collection but this one really appealed.  I love the bagginess and the retro look of it and couldn't wait to sew it up.  The first one I made of a green gingham fabric I'd had.  I made the straight size 2 thinking she would grown into it fairly soonish.  The sizing on this pattern I found quite generous though.  I know it's supposed to be baggy but I had to accept it was just a bit too big.

But then I saw this lovely elephant print.  I think I tend to choose quiet, muted prints and something about this more juvenile print really appealed.  So back home I went and took 4 inches off the pants and shortened the ties as well and although it was still big it was more on the acceptable side.

This has ended up being one of my favourite things I have ever sewn so far.  It has a loose, comfortable fit and looks quite retro.  Freya looks quite adorable and it's her most commented upon piece of clothing.  My husband has also been able to notice the comments it has received.  I think he was quite proud to say "Alex made it"  when people commented on it.

It is a pretty easy sew, easier than trying to get a toddler to stand still for a photo anyway. The only thing that was a little tricky was putting in the sewing lines for the second piece of elastic on the bodice.

I seem to have a lot of pictures of her wearing it, but I think that's because as soon as it was clean I would dress her in it again.  I also think she found it very comfortable, although it was still a tad too big in the beginning she grew into it quickly enough.  The elastic bands at the ankles also helped me tuck it up a bit so she didn't trip on it.

 A really great pattern and one I will definitely be making again, maybe after toilet training though...

No comments:

Post a Comment