Tuesday 11 November 2014

Carousel Dress

Like the Oliver and S culottes pattern I bought their Carousel dress pattern as soon as it was released. I wasn't a huge fan of the ruffled hem version but when I saw the plain hem I was sold, and as Little Miss has a growing obsession with pockets I knew she'd like it.



The trouble is when I looked at my fabric stash nothing seemed quite right.  I liked the idea of a plain, chambray-type version but she does already have two dresses out of that kind of fabric already and I fancied something a bit different.  Usually I tend to have an idea of what fabric I would buy for a new pattern, but I'll be honest, here I was a bit stumped.  I headed off to the shop and wasn't even sure if I was going to buy anything at all that day.  But as luck would have it I found this straight away and knew it would be perfect.  It's actually more of a rose-pink colour with grey spots and I toyed with the idea of contrasting pockets but decided to leave it plain this time.


I was a bit worried as I sewing it, that it was going to be overly big but I actually think it's OK.  I made the size two for Freya and it looks fine with plenty of growing room.  I left off the sleeve cuffs and just hemmed the sleeve pattern about an inch I think.  I thought the shorter sleeves would be better for the warming weather and maybe that helps with it not seeming too big.. I may even hem them slightly more next time.


The other change I made was to add a fabric button loop when sewing the back placket instead of a thread chain.  I just wanted something a bit sturdier and was a bit lazy about hand-sewing it if I'm honest.  It works just fine and was fairly simple to do.  I just layered it in between the facing and back bodice, making sure it didn't overlap the other side's stitching line.  I think it put it about half an inch down and it all lined up nicely.

Showing off her tummy, just because

 Not much more to say really, other than it really didn't take long to put together and I imagine the next one will be faster still.  I might even be a bit braver with some prints and contrasting fabric, we'll have to see.


2 comments: