Monday, 18 April 2016

The disastrous (but I'm going to wear it anyway) dress

Sometimes, despite all your efforts things don't always work as nicely as you'd hoped.

I recently bought the book Boundless Style by Victory Patterns.  It's a great idea of a lot of mix and match sleeves, bodices and skirts.  For my first project I chose to make a Celine bodice with the pleated Lydia skirt and a cap sleeve.  I made a muslin of the bodice and adjusted the side seam and shoulder seam slightly and it seemed to fit really nicely.

I never know what to do with my hands!
Then I started sewing.  The front dart and placket are a little tricky to line up and it's not 100% clear to me how some of it should fall correctly.  I kept experimenting and thought I had done it right, but then the collar just would not fit.  I have been hoarding this fabric for ages and was determined not to waste any so I used some bias binding to finish the neckline instead.

The sleeves then took some manouerving too.  They weren't supposed to have to be eased in but I found I did have to use a slight gathering stitch to get it them to fit.  It also called for some interfacing.  I use the lightest one I had but I think next time I wouldn't bother.

Everything else went well, even the invisible zipper went in easily.  I was excited thinking I was going to have this great fitting dress, but when I tried it on, disaster!  It's far too roomy at the front and bunches at the sides!  I think it gapes a bit too much at the armholes too for my liking.

I think it's still wearable (just) and I'm determined too as I love that skirt and that fabric too much not to wear it.  I just think next time I'll have to work on my adjustments a bit more.  I'm thinking of blending between sizes for my next one as I determined to get it to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment