Monday 7 August 2017

Because one Elsa dress just isn't enough...

After seeing how much Freya loved her first Elsa dress, another Princess dress was always going to be on the to-sew list.


So I went back to Frozen for this one and decided on Elsa's coronation dress.  I used the Magrath dress pattern for this one and have plans to use this pattern to make the next Princess dress on the list (and Freya's list keeps getting bigger).


I added yellow piping between the seams which wasn't the easiest thing to do with the shaped bodice. I got out my embroidery machine for the bodice patterns. I got the design from Daisy Sprouts and it stitched up beautifully.


I changed the back to make it a straight yoke and added more piping.  I wasn't originally going to use and exposed zipper but the piping didn't agree with the invisible zipper so I went back to the original design. This is the first zipper I've ever done that wasn't invisible and I kind of like it.  It's got me thinking about using some more exposed zippers with some other dresses.


Other than the back, I didn't alter the pattern at all.  This is a size 5 and it has plenty of room.  To be honest Freya would probably still fit a size 4 in a few patterns, but I always sew up a 5 to be safe, and to make sure it will last for a while. I didn't lengthen it as I wanted this dress to be a bit more user friendly than the full length one.


The pattern was great.  The instructions were clear and had photos for each step. The PDF itself went together quickly and smoothly. 


Needless to say it was a big hit with my girl.  She's already talking about the next character dress she wants, and luckily it's not a princess next time. Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment