Monday 13 April 2015

Cats and Rabbits Charlie Dress

When I was making this I had one of those days where I should have just walked away but I'm glad and kept at it looking at the finished result.




When I saw this fabric in my local quilt shop it was one of those times when I instantly knew what pattern to use.  This is the made-by-Rae Charlie Tunic with the dress add on.  I left off the sleeves and added binding instead so it would be easy to layer in the Winter.  So far I haven't made one of these with sleeves but maybe one day I'll get around to it.


The finished dress looks fine but I did stumble a few times.  Firstly I made the button loops too big and tried to sew them in when doing the front facing instead of afterwards like the pattern suggests.  As a result they really are much too big and are held in by a tiny amount but at least it meant I could use these nice big buttons... The binding also caused me a bit of frustration, but more from being a bit fiddly as I'd sewn up the side seams first.  I think when it comes to me and binding armholes I really should add the binding and then sew the side seams.  Oh well lesson learnt for next time.


The fabric is from a Cotton and Steel collection which I paired with a peachy-pink I found the worked well.  I made the size two, even though Freya turns three in just a few weeks as I found last time I made it the sizing to be quite generous.


In spite of the troubles I had with this dress, which were all my own making, I'm pleased with how it has turned out.  I'd love to see her wear it with a pair of boots, I just have to find some that would fit her brace... So far I've only really found the runners work with me ripping out the insoles.  One day I'm hoping to find some nicer shoes for her to wear again, but in the grand scheme of things that's only a small cross to bear.


She was really pleased with the buttons!

1 comment:

  1. Great dress and she will enjoy being able to dress herself (due to the front closure) at least my three year old loves to dress and redress.

    ReplyDelete