Saturday 25 April 2015

Gingham Garden Party

Another project I finally got around to finishing and blogging!



I'd bought this gingham fabric the other week with another top in mind but when flicking through the pattern folders this one caught my eye and I immediately changed my mind.  Then Liesl from Oliver and S wrote a blog post about the gingham trend and I knew I'd made a good choice.

I used the Oliver and S Garden Party dress pattern.  I've made one previously but wasn't thrilled with it.  I used a fabric which wasn't something I would have usually used and I made a version with sleeves which were a touch too puffy for my liking.  It didn't seem to fit Freya as well as I'd hoped, so I left it unfinished and, was a bit uninspired if I'm honest.


I'm glad I gave it a second chance these few months later though.  I made the size two again, but this time the sleeveless version which will be better for winter and I'm much happier with how it looks.  While I was cutting it out I decided to cut the waistband and front yoke on the bias for some added detail.  


It all went together quite smoothly.  I think the trickiest part was lining up and gathering the front waistband and for me binding the sleeves.  But I took my time and it turned out ok.  

I think it's a bit more of a Wintery gingham in this shade and will perfect for layering with tights and cardigans.  I think it's going to be versatile dress that can be dressed up and bit, but also fine for everyday wear too.  


I have renewed interest in this pattern now and I'm sure this won't be my last.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! The bias-cut gingham is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete