Monday, 28 April 2014

Swingset Tunic

Sometimes I look past a pattern many times, not really interested and then for one reason for another I see the same pattern on another day and it becomes a "must have".  That's what happened with the Oliver+S Swingset Tunic.
I had this green fabric in the stash and wasn't entirely sure what to do with it until one day inspiration struck.  I find it's been a great top for Summer but it also works really well layered with a long sleeve top and leggings for during Winter. It looks great on Freya, but unfortunately I don't have any shots of her wearing it.
I wouldn't say it was the easiest top I've ever put together.  There was one particular bit with the placket where I wasn't 100% sure I was doing the right thing and I checked a tutorial online.  Luckily I was on the right track anyway and it all went together very smoothly after that.  I think the next time I make it will be much easier.
I used some snaps in the back and the colour matched pretty closely.  In the end the fabric was definitely the right choice for this pattern and I think I will get a lot of use out of this top.

Sunday, 27 April 2014

Bohemian Babydoll

have been following the designer Elegance and Elephants for a while.  I have nearly all of her pattern and I'm always pleased with the results.
During a break this weekend I decided to give her latest pattern the Bohemian Babydoll dress a try.  
I must admit I am not usually a person who likes ruffles so I left them off and just sewed the sleeveless version.  I also figured this would be easier for layering during winter.  I've had this fabric laying around for around a year now and really thought it could fit this pattern well.
I was really pleased with the results.  I was a bit worried while sewing it that it wouldn't fit over Freya's giant head and as she was asleep I couldn't check but I carried on regardless.  Thank goodness it did fit when I checked in the morning.  There are no buttonholes, zips or button loops on this pattern which certainly added to the allure.  I think I have three dresses finished at the moment just waiting for snaps and buttons.
I was also really pleased with my top stitching on this dress.
It has a slight low-high hem which I usually avoid but I loved the curve on the bodice.  It looks really cute on Little Miss.  I think it's going to be great with some leggings and a long sleeve top underneath. I did make a slight change to the pattern.  I decided the way she had explained how to do the armholes seemed a bit fiddly.  Instead I used the way Rae described when lining a washi dress (there's a video tutorial on her website) and it worked perfectly.  I also used the lazy way to put the bodice and the dress together, sewing them together and the serging the seam.  In the future when I have more time I'd like to spend more time lining it properly.

I liked it so much and it was such a quick and easy sew I made one the next day too.
I must admit I don't usually like big, character prints but I've always had a soft spot for where the wild things are so when I saw this fabric I bought a couple of metres with no real project in mind.  I love how it turned out.
So this is definitely a new favourite pattern for me.  I'm already thinking of sewing some up for some gifts and planning my next version.  I think for my next one though I might try using the hem facing on the outside as a contrast band on the bottom.  Watch this space.