Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Bonjour Playtime Tunic

There's nothing like pulling out an old favourite again.

We had a pretty crappy week last week so I needed something simple and rewarding for some time out. This is an Oliver and S Playtime Tunic, a pattern I have made a number of times now.  With the weather beginning to cool down here a bit, it seemed about time to make another one.

I made up a size 4 for my almost four year old (sob!).  It's a little roomy but the size 3 would be too small to last very long I reckon.  I didn't really make any changes, just a slightly narrower hem.

I always stick with the tunic version of this pattern.  I've only made the dress version once and found it far too long for my girl.  This is a great practical length and looks great with leggings.  And guess what?! It's perfect for Playtime!  She gets a lot of wear out of these and it's super practical.

It's a very quick and simple sew.  The trickiest bit I reckon would be the sleeves but that's really very easy!  You attach the sleeves before sewing the side seams.  The trickiest bit is the underarm curve but I found if I used a smaller stitch length for that part it all lined up better than ever!

The fabric is some cute little French kittens with hats.  It's from the 'Oui Oui Paris' line by Suzy Ultman.  I'm not usually one for novelty prints but I knew instantly what this would be perfect for!  I bought 1.5 metres which left me with plenty left over!  I'm thinking of making a skirt with what's left over.

Monday, 18 April 2016

The disastrous (but I'm going to wear it anyway) dress

Sometimes, despite all your efforts things don't always work as nicely as you'd hoped.

I recently bought the book Boundless Style by Victory Patterns.  It's a great idea of a lot of mix and match sleeves, bodices and skirts.  For my first project I chose to make a Celine bodice with the pleated Lydia skirt and a cap sleeve.  I made a muslin of the bodice and adjusted the side seam and shoulder seam slightly and it seemed to fit really nicely.

I never know what to do with my hands!
Then I started sewing.  The front dart and placket are a little tricky to line up and it's not 100% clear to me how some of it should fall correctly.  I kept experimenting and thought I had done it right, but then the collar just would not fit.  I have been hoarding this fabric for ages and was determined not to waste any so I used some bias binding to finish the neckline instead.

The sleeves then took some manouerving too.  They weren't supposed to have to be eased in but I found I did have to use a slight gathering stitch to get it them to fit.  It also called for some interfacing.  I use the lightest one I had but I think next time I wouldn't bother.

Everything else went well, even the invisible zipper went in easily.  I was excited thinking I was going to have this great fitting dress, but when I tried it on, disaster!  It's far too roomy at the front and bunches at the sides!  I think it gapes a bit too much at the armholes too for my liking.

I think it's still wearable (just) and I'm determined too as I love that skirt and that fabric too much not to wear it.  I just think next time I'll have to work on my adjustments a bit more.  I'm thinking of blending between sizes for my next one as I determined to get it to work!

Sunday, 3 April 2016

Blue and White Miss Polly Dress

Ever since Sewpony showed a few pictures of her Miss Polly dress I was eagerly awaiting it's release.