Friday 6 May 2016

Cloudy with a chance of sewing

I've made yet another version of an old favourite.


Sometimes an unexpected dress can become a favourite.  Last year I made a couple of celestial dresses (by pattern fantastique) including a plain blue sleeveless version. When I'd first finished I didn't really like it.  I found it too open in the underarm and I wasn't thrilled with how it had turned out.  But then winter arrived and it was perfect for layering under long sleeved tops and became one of my most worn dresses.


As the weather is getting colder again I decided it was time for a new one.  This is some cloud 9 fabric I'd found at spotlight.  When I went back to buy it I had thoughts of an emery but there wasn't much left on the bolt.  I bought what they did have and it turned out to be the perfect amount for this dress.  


I used the sleeveless hack which is a straight forward easy sew.  There's no closures or elastic and fitting is very simple.  I added about 3 inches to the length of the mini version as mini skirts and teaching preps doesn't really go well together.  I've already worn it a few times and love it!  


I find I'm drawn to two very different styles in sewing.  It's either the fit and flare style dress, but I also love the look of shift and tunic style dresses.  I'm not sure if this is the most flattering for me but it's nice to have something really relaxed and easy to wear, either to school or just down the street.  I think the great thing with sewing is I do find I'm more willing to try new styles and and be a bit braver and bolder in the things I wear.  Now I just need to find the time to make all the things I'd like to...


No comments:

Post a Comment