Monday 19 October 2015

Grey and Yellow Maren Dress

Apparently playing chase while Mum holds the camera is the best game ever...


This is another one of those projects that I'd finished a while back but only now had chance to photograph.  It is the Maren dress by Craftiness is Not Optional as part of the Sew What Club.  I've only just joined as I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to a monthly subscription but the September patterns really sold it to me.  I've yet to make the top I got but it's pretty high on my to-do list.


The fabric is some grey I'd spotted a while back.  I had been thinking romper but when I got this pattern I knew it would work well.  Yellow is not a colour I usually sew with but I had some in the stash and they looked great together.


The dropped waist, the collar and the pleats are all lovely details and it closes with a simple keyhole closure.  I've tried using elastic instead of making a button loop and I'll see how it lasts, and whether or not that might be a new lazy option for me.  I added some flat yellow piping to the bodice edge and I'm so glad I did.



 I had a spot of bother with the pleats as the first time I folded them the skirt was far too big for the bodice.  I think some of the pleat markings have been labelled backwards which led to my confusion. It was an easy enough fix.


The sleeves are built into the pattern piece so there's no sleeves to set in, which is always a plus.  I'm sure this will not be the last version of this dress I make. 


I'm still getting to grips with taking photos in the sunlight.  I've found the afternoon is slightly better in our garden, but then I do run the risk of a little cranky-pants as Freya is a bit more of a morning person at the moment.  She's also going through a bit of a wussy stage and is terrified of flies!  She's going to have to get over it as it's only just the start of Summer, but it's got us pulling our hair out a bit as the weather has finally turned nice and she's too scared to go outside! 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely dress and all my kids also went through the afraid of flies stage!

    ReplyDelete